News of interest re: WBZ, WRGB

Doug Drown vzeej5wn@myfairpoint.net
Mon Nov 7 12:38:46 EST 2011

Scott Fybush has reported on his new site this morning (check it out!) that the former WBZ (WBZA) towers in East Springfield were taken down this past weekend as the old Westinghouse building approaches demolition.   I know many of us will mourn that loss.  I'd love to own even a two-inch piece of one of those towers.

In addition, Freedom Newspapers is selling off its broadcasting unit.  WRGB in Schenectady is being sold to Sinclair, which of course owns WGME in Portland as well as other upstate New York stations.   One hopes that Sinclair, aware that it will now own the oldest television station in the world, will finally put to rest the "CBS6 Albany" moniker and return to emphasizing the call letters, as CBS [finally] wisely did with "CBS4" WBZ-TV.   (My curmudgeonly prejudice is showing here.)      -Doug