FCC Seizes Radio Equipment

Dale H. Cook radiotest@plymouthcolony.net
Fri May 27 05:48:30 EDT 2011

At 12:38 AM 5/27/2011, A Joseph Ross wrote:

>The pirate was an FM signal, and last I heard aviation
>communications are done in AM.  So how did the pirate interfere with
>air traffic?

The FM band is immediately above the VHF aviation band, and spurious
emissions from an FM transmitter have often caused interference in
the aviation band. That happened in my area last year - enforcement
bureau is generally pretty quick to act when aviation safety is jeopardized.

Dale H. Cook, Contract Engineer, Roanoke/Lynchburg, VA
http://plymouthcolony.net/starcityeng/index.html