Honest Dick Smith Dies

Donna Halper dlh@donnahalper.com
Fri May 20 21:33:29 EDT 2011

On 5/20/2011 6:34 PM, Larry Weil wrote:
> Maybe the question should be if any of us have ever heard of him! :-)

If you were here during the height of AM top-40, you recall that there
were the medium-market stations, in secondary markets, that could really
drive a hit and bring it to the attention of the bigger stations in
Boston and Providence.  In the 60s and early 70s, WORC was one of those
key medium-market stations.  I have some top-40 surveys from the
station, and it was considered fairly important for record promoters.
Honest Dick Smith was the guy who was the music director of WORC and
without his airplay, songs often did not make the leap to Boston radio.
I was music directing in college radio during 1968-1970, and I
absolutely remember keeping an eye on what stations like WORC were playing.