Newton Minow 50th

A Joseph Ross joe@attorneyross.com
Tue May 17 23:09:47 EDT 2011

On 5/17/2011 10:41 PM, Doug Drown wrote:
> There were many cities, particularly smaller ones, that didn't have
> ABC affiliates until the mid- to late '60s.  The local NBC and CBS
> stations would share secondary affiliations with ABC.  I remember
> those days well. Despite its having a number of hit shows, ABC ---
> like Fox, more recently --- was sort of the "also-ran" network for
> many years.  I don't recall the specifics of what helped turn that
> around, but I'm sure the beefing-up of its news operations bore some
> significance in the rocess.  -Doug

I'm sure there were a number of things that turned it around, but I'd
guess that parity in affiliates, and being able to get their shows out
reliably in the intended time slots, was a big factor.  Then for a
season or two in the mid-1970s, ABC managed to top the other two in the
ratings.  Fred Silverman, who headed programming at ABC, was credited
with that success, and I suspect he gets at least some of the credit,
though I think there were a number of factors involved.

--
A. Joseph Ross, J.D.                     617.367.0468
92 State Street, Suite 700          Fax: 617.507.7856