rjoc04679

Dale H. Cook radiotest@plymouthcolony.net
Thu Mar 31 14:03:39 EDT 2011

At 09:36 AM 3/31/2011, Sid Schweiger wrote:

>The problem is that passwords have to be used by people, not
>machines, and a password that bears no resemblance whatsoever to
>anything in human experience is going to be either forgotten
>regularly or written down and posted on the user's monitor

I have another system entirely for passwords that must be memorized,
which yields passwords almost as strong as randomly generated ones,
i.e., containing a mixture of upper- and lower-case letters, numerals
and punctuation, and containing no dictionary words. For security
reasons, however, I cannot discuss in detail the method I use to
generate easy-to-remember passwords. I will say only that it involves
a small number of fixed rules governing changes in characters in an
easy-to-remember phrase. Anyone who knows the rules and the phrase
can quickly and easily generate a password from the phrase.

Granted, that system is not something that can be remembered (or
utilized) by the brain-dead, but I do not administer systems for the
brain-dead.

Dale H. Cook, Contract Engineer, Roanoke/Lynchburg, VA
http://plymouthcolony.net/starcityeng/index.html