70 years ago today...

Dan.Strassberg dan.strassberg@att.net
Tue Mar 29 10:55:02 EDT 2011

I thought it was March 31. And also, I read that a large number of
stations did not make the transition right away. I assume that they
were granted STAs to continue using their old facilities for several
weeks, or even months until new equipment (when necessary) could be
delivered and the necessary work could be done.

As for WROL Boston, it was not a thing of the past; it was still a
thing of the future--for several decades to come. In 1941, was the
station already WORL (NOT WROL) or was it still WBSO Wellesley (AFAIK,
unrelated to the Boston Symphony Orchestra; the calls stood for Babson
Statistical Organization, a progenitor of today's Babson College). And
where was the transmitter? Wellesley? By 1941, I imagine that WHDH was
using the site on Lynn Marsh Rd (Rt 107) in Saugus. But was the
antenna a long-wire or had it already been replaced by self-supporting
vertical towers? Did WHDH go full-time concurrent with NARBA or did it
remain a daytimer until sometime later? If the latter, then there
might have been, nevertheless, two towers at the Saugus site, because
the station knew that it would have to protect KOA when it eventually
went full-time. Had someone been prescient enough to place the two
towers, which very likely initially supported a long-wire, on an
east-west line (required to protect KOA) and were the towers tall
enough and spaced properly to become a DA with the required pattern?
Inquiring minds...

The WROL calls did not grace 950 until the '60s or '70s. WORL first
became WRYT and then WROL. At the time of NARBA, the WROL calls might
have been on the AM 620 in Knoxville TN, if that station even existed
in March 1941.

-----
Dan Strassberg (dan.strassberg@att.net)
eFax 1-707-215-6367