Jay Dunn...Put the coffee on

Martin Waters martinjwaters@yahoo.com
Tue Mar 8 18:11:55 EST 2011

--- On Tue, 3/8/11, Dan.Strassberg <dan.strassberg@att.net> wrote:
>. . . In those days, I think WHDH ran its hourly news on the half hour, >just like WNEW (although I could be wrong--wouldn't be the first
>time); . . .

     And you, too, sir, are correct. In the late 50s and at least well into the 60s, it was five minutes of news at the bottom. Continuing the mirror effect, during drive time, five minutes also ran at the top of the hour.
     This format resulted in the famous (at least with me), "Breakfast Extra" news being on at 7:30 a.m. It was 15 minutes, I believe. At least ten. The newscaster for quite awhile was Leo Egan.
     The way people seem to get up so much earlier now, it would probably run at 5:30 a.m. or 6:30 if they were still around.

     But 7:30 was perfect for me -- in the kitchen eating my cereal before school. Breakfast Extra played a major role in making me the radio news junkie I am today. :) Anyone got an aircheck?