Coverage of Whitey Bulger's capture?

Laurence Glavin lglavin@mail.com
Thu Jun 23 13:48:17 EDT 2011

 John Carroll, Assistant Professor of Mass Communications at Boston University, former regular of WGBH-TV's "Beat the
 Press" and now a frequent guest on Robin Young's WBUR Radio show, writes a blog called Campaign Outsider. In today's
 (06/23) posting, he writes that the print edition of the Herald that arrived at his doorstep had no mention of the Whitey
 story although it was all over the print edition of the Globe he received. The Herald prints its papers in Chicopee, MA
 hard by the Connecticut River. Meanwhile, during the BBC News Hour this morning on WBUR, the reporter who was
 interviewed was Carl Stevens of WBZ radio, not someone at WBUR or WGBH radio, or channel 20, 30, 31 or 42.
 I had recorded the Jimmy Kimmel opening monologue from WCVB, and when I played it back this morning, there suddenly
 appeared a crawl at the bottom of the screen with the words "TEXT GOES HERE". That I knew already. Then the crawl
 went away for a minute, and when it returned, the words "BREAKING NEWS: Whitey Bulger captured in Santa Monica, CA".
 So Boston media had it at about 12:10 am.