How much longer will WBZ stay at 1170 SFR?

Garrett Wollman wollman@bimajority.org
Mon Jun 13 16:21:09 EDT 2011

<<On Mon, 13 Jun 2011 15:43:14 -0400, Scott Fybush <scott@fybush.com> said:

> For whatever reason, CBS corporate just seems to believe in keeping
> things separate - even in San Francisco and NYC, there's no physical
> connection between the radio and TV plants in the same building.

I believe the reason is that that's how they manage the company:
there's a radio segment, a television segment, an outdoor segment, and
so on.  That's what gives you all those crazy internal economies where
radio is paying rent to TV and so on, and if the rent is cheaper
somewhere else, Sumner wants radio to be somewhere else.  (TV is of
course much harder to move, simply because it requires more physical
infrastructure, especially network TV.)  When you consider the past
efforts to get "synergy" at Westinghouse and CBS mostly ended in
failure, there's not much reason to believe that there is any
achievable cost savings as a result of having them all in the same
place.  The current extent of "synergy" is having TV weather people do
the radio weather forecasts, and running the occasional segment from
the CBS Evening at 7:04p.  Neither of these require the TV people to
be in the same building as the radio people.

-GAWollman