Radio never warned me (regarding Spfld tornado)

Scott Fybush scott@fybush.com
Sun Jun 12 22:11:28 EDT 2011

Bill Welch wrote:

> When AM FM and TV combos existed they could share the resources and
> expenses across all the station.s Other than WBZ are there any combos
> left and are the resources shared so as to make a difference?

There are no other combos like that left in New England, and that's a
result of deliberate Commission policy to break up those combos,
starting in the late 60s-early 70s.

Even at CBS, one of the last companies to hang on to its radio-TV
combos, the trend has been to split up radio and TV into separate
physical facilities. Over the last decade, CBS has moved in Chicago, Los
Angeles and Philadelphia, each time to separate buildings for radio and
TV...and in New York and San Francisco, while radio and TV are under the
same roof, they're in completely separate parts of the building. I
believe Boston is now the only CBS radio/TV combo with a joint newsroom,
and even that would have changed a few years back if Harvard hadn't run
out of capital to buy up 1170 Soldiers Field Road. (I'm pretty sure AM
1030 would have landed down the road at the old WSBK building, while
channel 4 would have moved elsewhere.)

Separate physical facilities doesn't automatically mean no sharing of
resources, of course, but it doesn't make it any easier, either.