Phase out over-the-air signals?

Michael Wilkins wilkinsmg@hotmail.com
Thu Jun 9 12:59:34 EDT 2011

> Date: Thu, 9 Jun 2011 00:12:27 -0400
> From: wollman@bimajority.org
> To: TVNETDUDE@aol.com
> Subject: Re:Phase out over-the-air signals? (was: Re: WCRB to simulcast on 88.
> CC: boston-radio-interest@tsornin.BostonRadio.org
>
> <<On Wed, 8 Jun 2011 11:34:04 -0400 (EDT), TVNETDUDE@aol.com said:
> >
> > How many people that run from one to a dozen internet radio stations
> > from home will ever see a dime?

and Mr. Wollman replied:

> How many people that run from one to a dozen Internet radio stations
> from home will ever see a listener who isn't a friend or relative?

I have more than several (mostly younger) friends who listen to various
Internet radio stations - none of which are run by relatives, and perhaps
only a few run by friends. Quite a few of these stations are not on U.S.
soil. No offense, but perhaps it's a generational thing.

To which wollman@bimajority.org replied:

> No, the cellular industry will be a source of *cost*, not revenue.
> The cellular industry is interested in selling improved listening
> quality and reduced bandwidth consumption (relative to unicast
> streaming).  That's why they don't want those FM tuners enabled.

Might I suggest that the cellular industry has other items on their plate, as this
article from today's WSJ suggests: Carriers Sweat as Texting Cools Off. Seems
more and more "stuff" is going Internet.

Mike