Phase out over-the-air signals? (was: Re: WCRB to simulcast on 88.7in R.I.)

A. Joseph Ross joe@attorneyross.com
Fri Jun 3 18:57:24 EDT 2011

On 6/3/2011 6:43 PM, Kevin Vahey wrote:

> Where will we be 10 years from now?
> Will AM be silenced?
> HD has been as successful as AM stereo so far....
>
> A lot of AM stations have trouble paying the electric bill
>
> Where the heck are we going???

Unfortunately, I think that AM radio will eventually disappear, if not
in 10 years, than maybe in 20.  If younger people are still listening to
radio, I don't think they are listening to AM radio in very large
numbers.  Whether they discover AM radio as they get older is an open
question.  Unless they do, the Bob Bittners of this world will have to
go elsewhere -- maybe on the Internet, where you don't need a license, a
transmitter, or the real estate for one.  Or the large electric bill.

--

A. Joseph Ross, J.D.             617.367.0468
92 State Street, Suite 700       Fax: 617.507.7856