WILD changes?

Donna Halper dlh@donnahalper.com
Wed Jun 1 11:47:46 EDT 2011

On 6/1/2011 11:07 AM, Dan.Strassberg wrote:
> An hour or so ago, the programming, in English, was coming from
> mainland China. The program hosts repeatedly referred to Beijing
> as THIS city. My guess is that the Chinese government is sub-leasing
> the signal from the outfit that is leasing the signal from Radio One,

As Dan pointed out, Radio One has been trying to unload WILD for ages.
But I question the programming from China, especially if it's in
Mandarin.  Most Boston-area Chinese are from Hong Kong and Canton, and
they speak Cantonese.  The old WJDA, before it died, used to offer
Cantonese programming on the weekends, given the rise in the Asian
population of Quincy.  The current government in China is committed to
eradicating the use of languages like Cantonese and only allows Mandarin
as the official language, but in many east coast cities, the dominant
language is Cantonese, whether the Chinese government likes it or not.