WCOP

Donna Halper dlh@donnahalper.com
Sat Jul 23 02:57:56 EDT 2011

On 7/23/2011 1:27 AM, Thomas Heathwood wrote:
> When I was a junior program assistant/announcer trainee at WCOP in the 1947-50 era, the station was owned by Plough, Inc.

Yes.  WCOP had an interesting history.  As Garrett noted, the CP said
the calls were supposed to be WMFH but Joseph Kirby had trouble with the
financing, plus he was in poor health, and by the time the station got
on the air, he was either dead or at death's door; the call letters
assigned by that time were WCOP, for the Copley Plaza Hotel.  Arde
Bulova bought it in February 1937, from Mr Kirby's widow.  Bulova owned
it till October 1944, when Iowa Broadcasting (later known as Cowles
Broadcasting) bought it.

But my record differ from yours, Tom.  WCOP was sold again several more
times-- and yes, Plough absolutely owned it, but I don't have the
ownership in the late 1940s-- my records say Plough bought the station
after it was briefly owned by the soon to be defunct Boston Post
newspaper. Plough purchased it from the Post in May 1956.