Could News Corp lose right to broadcast in the US

Sid Schweiger sid@wrko.com
Thu Jul 21 20:00:28 EDT 2011

"I'm not sure Sid Schweiger is quite right on the notion of the  FCC
> convening a hearing to revoke a license of someone convicted of a crime."

I've been wrong before and shall be wrong again.  I'm used to it by now.

However, I never said and/or meant that the FCC convenes revocation hearings on its own motion.  Typically, as in the cases you cited, a party of interest "notified" the FCC of what had happened.

> "I admit I do not know how the question of the fitness of Red Lion to
> operate WGCB came before the commission except to note that it involved a
> refusal to obey an FCC rule despite an order to do so, which is
> distinguished from the fitness issue."

Red Lion was a test of both the Fairness Doctrine and the personal-attack rule, both of which WGCB willfully and repeatedly violated, and despite an FCC order to provide journalist Fred J. Cook with time to reply to an editorial attack on him (first asking the station and then notifying the FCC that the station had refused), the station challenged the FD and the attack rule in court.  The case made it all the way to the Supreme Court, which found the rules constitutional.  Cook got his time, but long after most listeners would have forgotten what the fuss was about in the first place.  IIRC WGCB lost its license subsequent to the SCOTUS case after a challenge at renewal time, based on the court case and its overall record of rule violations.

Sid Schweiger
IT Manager, Entercom Boston LLC
20 Guest St / 3d Floor
Brighton MA. 02135-2040