Radio "apps" for smartphones....

Garrett Wollman wollman@bimajority.org
Fri Jul 15 10:34:14 EDT 2011

<<On Fri, 15 Jul 2011 06:22:34 -0700 (PDT), Sean Smyth <sean.smyth@yahoo.com> said:

> On Fri, 7/15/11, Scott Fybush <scott@fybush.com> wrote:
>> It's not an app, per se, but bookmark
>> whereami.bostonradio.org on your browser. Used from a
>> location-enabled mobile device, this nifty little offering
>> from our beloved Moderator quickly answers the question -
>> "hey, what's that tower over there?," a function I expect to
>> be using a lot in the next few days as I drive across the
>> country!

> Interesting -- didn't know such a site existed.

Note that it depends on getting a precise location from your phone.
Sometimes the phone won't bother to compute a good location unless you
are running (or have recently run) its mapping/nagivation application.
If you have used a location-based Web page in the browser recently,
and that app asked for only "coarse" location, then your browser will
continue to give that out for a while even to pages that request
"fine" location.  A good thing for battery life, not necessarily what
you want for identifying that tower out the car window.

-GAWollman