WBZ-FM has strong spring book

Kevin Vahey kvahey@gmail.com
Thu Jul 14 14:25:54 EDT 2011

I think EEI needs new blood in the PD area....

Felger is Ordway of 20 years ago...

98.5 not only split the pie - new listeners to the format have been created. Way too many people under 30 have NEVER listened to AM.
------Original Message------
From: Donna Halper
To: Kevin Vahey
Cc: ssmyth@psualum.com
Cc: bri
Subject: Re: WBZ-FM has strong spring book
Sent: Jul 14, 2011 2:18 PM

On 7/14/2011 1:41 PM, Kevin Vahey wrote:
> It SEEMS - If you under 40 you prefer 98.5 - older WEEI
>
> Obviously demoting Dale for Mutt and Merloni was an epic blunder.

WEEI sounds old and tired, and their shuffling of popular personalities
like Dale only alienated their core of devoted fans.  (Frankly, I
thought Eddie Andelman sounded good on WEEI and I was sorry to see him
go.)  Trouble is, that core is aging and it's not getting any larger.
Their callers sound like mostly angry guys, many of whom hate women
athletes and like to say outrageous things that sometimes border on
racism.  Again, this worked 20 years ago, and when WEEI had no
competition, they could continue to appeal to that older white male core
audience, the so-called "bloodthirsty shut-ins."  Can WEEI re-invent
itself and bring in some new listeners rather than just pandering to its
core fans?  THAT is the question.