Baseball radio in the Northeast

Kevin Vahey kvahey@gmail.com
Wed Jul 13 09:25:32 EDT 2011

The NHL Islanders are on Hofstra's FM signal - the team couldn't even buy time anywhere in NY.

-----Original Message-----
From: Scott Fybush <scott@fybush.com>
Sender: boston-radio-interest-bounces@tsornin.BostonRadio.orgDate: Wed, 13 Jul 2011 09:21:39
To: Maureen Carney<m_carney@yahoo.com>
Cc: Boston Radio Group<boston-radio-interest@lists.BostonRadio.org>
Subject: Re: Baseball radio in the Northeast

Maureen Carney wrote:

> And that begs the question - will there be teams that give up radio coverage?
> Obviously the Sox have Entercom breaking the bank for rights but that's not the
> case in every market.

We've seen teams come close. The Expos lost English radio for a while,
and the As were on a college station at one point just to stay on the
air somewhere. (That was in the late 80s or early 90s, if memory serves,
but the As once again came close to losing radio this year when their
previous flagship, KTRB 860, went bankrupt.)