Baseball radio in the Northeast

Maureen Carney m_carney@yahoo.com
Wed Jul 13 08:08:51 EDT 2011

This is how I stopped rooting for the Sox and Bruins as a kid. When KISS 108
came on and replaced WWEL I could no longer get the games in - but I could get
in the Baltimore Orioles (on 1500 WTOP) and Pittsburgh Pirates (on 1020 KDKA)
and I followed them for the 80s and 90s. As for the Bruins I gave up due to poor
play after Don Cherry left (in addition to weak signal) and followed the
Hartford Whalers on WTIC. Being in a one TV house with 6 kids I had no choice
but to turn to radio to follow games.

And that begs the question - will there be teams that give up radio coverage?
Obviously the Sox have Entercom breaking the bank for rights but that's not the
case in every market.