Baseball radio in the Northeast

Scott Fybush scott@fybush.com
Tue Jul 12 09:09:04 EDT 2011

Kevin Vahey wrote:
> Yes the Mets are on 660 but they only have stations in Albany and
> Amsterdam, NY besides WFAN. Sure 660 gives them coverage but NYY has
> 880 but still has many other stations wants NYY badly but I am not
> sure the Yankees want to lose New Jersey and upstate as WEPN does
> protect CHUM Toronto.

The fan bases for the two teams are very, very different. The Yankees
have always enjoyed a widespread fan base that stretches all the way
upstate and, yes, pretty deeply into southern New England, too.

Aside from a small number of transplants from downstate, there's simply
not a passionate Mets fan base to speak of up here in Rochester, or in
Syracuse or Albany or even Buffalo or Binghamton, where the Mets have
their AAA and AA farm teams, respectively. It's much more common to see
someone wearing Red Sox gear (and not just in my household!) around here
than it is to see someone in a Mets cap or with a Mets license plate on
their car.

WFAN simply does a phenomenal job of blanketing the core of Mets
territory, and WOFX in Troy/Albany picks up the smaller knot of Mets
partisans around Albany. I suspect the team could benefit from an
affiliate in the central Hudson Valley, where WFAN can get a little
noisy on stormy days, and maybe out on the eastern tip of Long Island,
too, but otherwise there's probably no other team whose fan base can be
so completely encompassed by a single signal as the Mets and WFAN.

(A big-signal Miami AM, if such a beast existed, could probably do the
same thing for the Marlins, come to think of it...)