Jingles

A Joseph Ross joe@attorneyross.com
Sat Feb 26 23:52:24 EST 2011

On 2/26/2011 10:57 PM, Donna Halper wrote:

> What's sad is that Grossman's used to be a HUGE chain.  The Grossmans
> were one of the first Jewish families in Quincy.  The stores were
> originally called L. Grossman and Sons.  Founder Louis Grossman also
> had a son Joe who became one of the first elected Jewish politicians
> in Massachusetts. The Grossmans were also huge philanthropists.  I am
> sure Louis and Joe would be deeply saddened by what happened to their
> chain of stores, which (as others have noted) used to be everywhere.
> Their trucks said on the front "Here Comes Grossman," and on the rear
> "There Goes Grossman."

Are they any relation to our new state treasurer, Steve Grossman?  He's
only the second Jewish statewide officeholder in Massachusetts.  The
first was George Fingold, attorney general in the 1950s.  He was widely
expected to defeat Governor Foster Furcolo in 1958, until he suddenly
died at the end of August. The Republican State Committee had to name a
replacement candidate, and Governor Furcolo was re-elected.  When I
congratulated Treasurer Grossman on being the first Jewish statewide
office-holder in 50 years, he said, "And the first Democrat."

--
A. Joseph Ross, J.D.                     617.367.0468
92 State Street, Suite 700          Fax: 617.507.7856