Pre-war FM callsigns

Garrett Wollman wollman@bimajority.org
Wed Dec 14 01:05:15 EST 2011

<<On Tue, 13 Dec 2011 23:30:22 -0500, A Joseph Ross <joe@attorneyross.com> said:

> So why did the FCC change the FM band?

Because the guy in charge of developing industry proposals for
post-war spectrum allocation worked for RCA?  The usual story is that
Sarnoff feared competition from FM, so he engineered the spectrum
reallocation to intentionally set FM back ten years.  (I'm actually
very close to reading about this in /Broadcasting/ so I will soon know
how it was reported in the contemporary trade press.)  It is true that
the old FM band was much more prone to sporadic-E propagation, which
some argued was a reason to find a different allocation.

-GAWollman