Pre-war FM callsigns (was: Re: WCVT (101.7 Stowe, VT))

Dan.Strassberg dan.strassberg@att.net
Tue Dec 13 07:26:04 EST 2011

I remember getting my first AM/FM receiver for my 13th birthday in
1948. It had only tne then-new (88 to 108-MHz) FM band. A gentleman in
my building who was a classical music fan had a Scott console radio
that picked up both bands. He occasionally deigned to let me visit his
apartment and listen, so I learned which stations were simulcasting on
both the new band and the old (42 to 50?-MHz) band. Most apparently
used the same calls on both bands. But not Maj Armstrong's stations,
which transmitted from his Alpine tower a few miles away across the
Hudson--clearly visible from my sixth-floor bedroom window. Armstrong
at first did not use the (commercial) WFMN calls. The stations IDed as
W2XMN (on the old band, IIRC) and W2XEA (on the new band). W2XEA (on
93.1--later occupied by WPAT-FM) had the loudest and cleanest signal
of any of the FM stations I could pick up. Considering that it was the
only station within my line of sight, I suppose that should have been
no surprise. (Hmmm. Maybe the Alpine tower wasn't the only FM site
that was within my line of sight. The top of the Empire State
Building, about 15 miles to the south, was visible from the living
room. I assume that at least RCA-owned WEAF-FM had its antenna on the
ESB.) Anyhow, I believe that Armstrong used the separate W2Xxx calls
until the FCC closed down the old band. At that point, what had been
W2XEA started IDing as WFMN.

-----
Dan Strassberg (dan.strassberg@att.net)
eFax 1-707-215-6367