WCVT (101.7 Stowe, VT)

A Joseph Ross joe@attorneyross.com
Tue Dec 13 00:29:13 EST 2011

On 12/12/2011 2:12 AM, Garrett Wollman wrote:

>> But IIRC, in those days, the stations wouldn't have had those calls,
>> they would have had calls in the form W##B.  When did the FCC get rid of
>> those calls?
> November 1, 1943.
>
>> And when did they finally allow the suffixes -FM and -TV to call
>> letters?
> For -FM: November 1, 1943.  For -TV, I don't know, but it was some
> time after the war.

It occurs to me that those original FM calls must have caused a lot of
trouble.  If a station was on the same channel in Boston and in Buffalo,
or Baltimore, or Binghamton, or ..., they would have had to have the
same callsign.  Would the FCC do that or would they avoid certain
frequency assignments in order to avoid duplication of calls?  If FM had
grown more than it did in those days, that could have been a
considerable headache.

--
A. Joseph Ross, J.D.                     617.367.0468
92 State Street, Suite 700          Fax: 617.507.7856