Hurricane Irene Radio & TV Coverage

Chuck Igo chuckigo@maine.rr.com
Sat Aug 27 23:49:18 EDT 2011

From: <markwats@comcast.net>
Subject: Hurricane Irene Radio & TV Coverage

It appears WBZ Radio has pre-empted Kim Komando's syndicated show tonight to
provide live coverage of the impending arrival of Hurricane Irene. Earlier
today when I was out and about on the North Shore I was hearing a hurricane
update on WODS from WBZ New Radio 1030's Mary Blake. WNBP (1450) was airing
hourly local updates and cancellations.
Local TV finds as of 9:20PM WBZ, WCVB, WHDH & WFXT all airing network
programming. I would guess they will be wall to wall coverage tomorrow.
Scanning the radio dial, WEPN (1050 NYC) has apparently blown out it's ESPN
programming to simulcast WABC-TV's continuous coverage.
Listening on line to WLNG earlier, they were testing their backup studio at
the overnight jock's house, with a T-1 connection to the transmitter, in
case they have to evacuate "Broadcast House". (snip)

I drove home thru this thing from Florida starting Friday morning - hit the
rain in Daytona and some good coverage from the news/talk & music statios in
Orlando/Jacksonville.  GA stations pretty much gave it lip-service even
though the winds through Savannah were pretty intense, rockin' a heavily
loaded mini-van well into SC.  SC had nothing to note, nor did NC offer
anything other than a random EAS severe wx alert (and not a mention of
tornado watch which I heard about AFTER driving through the worst (really)
rain I've ever encountered)  WRVA in Richmond was wall-to-wall with coverage
when I hit the road this morning.  Not much on the dial even through
Baltimore and DC, but within ear-shot in NJ, WCBS had moved baseball to WFAN
and WINS was also wall-to-wall.   Great chance for radio to shine, but few
took advantage of it.   Yes, WBZ was on from the CT/MA line til I rolled
into the driveway here in Maine.

--Chuck Igo