WEEI can't blame the Bruins for July

Sean Smyth sean.smyth@yahoo.com
Sun Aug 14 00:32:22 EDT 2011

On Sat, 8/13/11, Kevin Vahey <kvahey@gmail.com> wrote:
> I do think CBS saw WEEI could be
> challenged as 890 did make a small dent
> which 1510 never did. Having play by play of 2 teams helped
> as well.

890 also had some promotion behind it through the ESPN brand. What promotion did 1510 have besides some billboards? And they really made a half-assed effort at going all local; I think they had Mike Adams' local show on for about six months, if even that, before pulling the plug.

The other thing is that WEEI has never been great; good but not great. Arrogance and taking the audience for granted prevented it. Letting a guy like Ordway, a really good interviewer, be surrounded by the guys he was (namely Smerlas and Sheppard) for so long was a mistake. They were the only real thing in town in PM drive for 15 years, until the Hub came along. And some of it is just the Hub taking advantage of younger hosts to pull in less-entrenched listeners.