Women in broadcasting ownership

Doug Drown vzeej5wn@myfairpoint.net
Thu Aug 11 23:44:23 EDT 2011

Mrs. Valerio would count, though I'm looking primarily for
solely-female owners.

BTW, the Dudmans (below) really put the two Maine stations on the map
--- a classy operation.  Helen Dudman had previously been with The
Washington Post and knew quite a bit about broadcasting.  She turned
WWMJ (former WDEA-FM) into the top-rated oldies station in the Bangor
region, and WDEA became a first-rate 5-kw full-service station for the
whole Down East area, broadcasting a nostalgia format with local news,
sports and other features.  They're now owned by Cumulus, which has
been wise enough not to change things.  WDEA has been with CBS for
nearly 50 years.

WEEI was owned by Helen Broadcasting a.k.a. Helen & Michael Valerio