touch 106 FM

Peter Murray peterwmurray@gmail.com
Sun Aug 7 19:27:57 EDT 2011

It is completely understandable that most audiences do not want to
listen to particular content on a lousy signal. Leave it to the
crazies (whoever they are) to struggle to listen to weak signals for
fun.

It is commendable that Touch 106.1 FM provides the "public service"
that they do, having the Congressman on their station and providing
the service that they do to the community. I'm sure there are plenty
of other groups who would also like that opportunity.

I'll now echo (and amplify upon) that which Donna has already
mentioned - Touch FM is not licensed, may (or may not) use non FCC
type-accepted equipment, and are certainly not operating within the
established legal framework to which the legitimate signals in the
market do conform (at great expense).

That this is permitted to continue in a market as large as Boston
seems to indicate that they are not just a lucky rogue operator, but
that there are others providing tacit support. It creates a bad
precedent, and opens the FCC EB to liability. If the appropriate
powers actively shut down some operators and not others, that does
appear discriminatory.

Don't get me wrong - I think that the current licensing model and
spacing rules were written with the express purpose of keeping the
existing signals strong and making it difficult to add new
competition. I do believe that the conventional broadcast model is
being upended with the advances in ubiquitous broadband, and the
on-demand availability of the desired content is eroding the value of
the typical programming to the lowest common denominator we hear too
often today. Provide compelling content to listeners that they can't
get elsewhere, and they will come to you for it. Live and local gives
a station personality and locally relevant content. WTOP in DC is
making huge profit with this approach, and have established themselves
as the de-facto go-to station for news, traffic and other information
of local importance. Perhaps WRKO should give up on talk and try 100%
news, traffic, weather....

Regarding Spanish on an FM in Boston - I think it would survive just
fine, if there were an available licensed signal. For what it is
worth, CBS Radio-owned class-B WLZL (99.1, Annapolis MD - transmitting
from 20 miles away) is performing better in the 12+ ratings here in
the Washington DC metro than some of its English-speaking sister
stations which transmit from sites 15 miles closer to downtown (I'm
looking at you, WIAD)...

-Peter