WBUR lashes out at WGBH

Dan.Strassberg dan.strassberg@att.net
Sun Apr 17 05:36:09 EDT 2011

But the article made clear that WBUR-FM's audience is still several
times as large as WGBH-FM's--even, I believe, if you add WCRB to
WGBH-FM's numbers. The only way that I think you could prove the
opposite (and this was NOT in the article) would be to add the viewers
of Channel 2 and 44 to WGBH's FM totals. The Globe article also
mentioned that WBUR's recent fund-raiser took in $1.25 million, which,
I believe, was WBUR's largest total for any single fund-raiser in its
history. So the Globe article could not (and in my opinion, does not)
support the assertion that WGBH-FM's format flip has materially harmed
WBUR or WBUR's franchise. My gripe with the original post in this
thread is that it led with the idea that, because of the format flip,
WGBH-FM's sudience has overtaken WBUR's and WBUR is crying foul. I
still maintain that, at no point, did the Globe article say, or even
suggest, that WGBH-FM's audience is now larger than WBUR's. In fact, I
think the Globe story took great pains to leave the impression that,
notwithstanding WGBH-FMs audience gains since the flip, some of which,
I admit, did come at WBUR's expense, WBUR had not been materially
harmed. I took the original post in this thread to mean exactly the
opposite. I suppose that could just be my problem, but I don't think
so.

-----
Dan Strassberg (dan.strassberg@att.net)
eFax 1-707-215-6367