Boom Boom Brannigan passes on

Doug Drown revdoug1@myfairpoint.net
Wed Oct 27 09:55:10 EDT 2010

That Drum real estate ad was really clever.  Little WSNY positioned
itself as a worthy local competitor to WGY.  Though in the '60s and
'70s when visiting in Schenectady I was fixated on WPTR and WTRY, I did
listen to WSNY occasionally and found that it was a well-run station.
There were many such stations in middle-market cities, little bantams
that held up well to the big guys.  I think of WNEB in Worcester from
my adolescence --- 1230 kHz, 1 kw daytime, 250 at night, a CBS
affiliate with a format geared toward middle- to older-aged adults.  It
had good DJs, good local news and sports coverage, all in all doing a
fine job competing against full-service NBC powerhouse WTAG and the two
hotly competitive Top 40 stations, WAAB and WORC.   -Doug