Boom Boom Brannigan passes on

Doug Drown revdoug1@myfairpoint.net
Mon Oct 25 09:18:27 EDT 2010

Scott Fybush reported today in his North East Radio Watch that Joe Motto --- WPTR's "Boom Boom Brannigan" --- has passed away at age 82.

Among those of us who were teenaged Top 40 radio addicts in central Massachusetts, Boom Boom was very much a part of our lives.  'PTR used to have a huge listenership, especially at night, out in the Fitchburg-Gardner-Athol area, where the Boston and Worcester stations (except 'BZ and WAAB) didn't come well after dark.

I visited the WPTR studio on Albany Street in Colonie one day and met Boom Boom.   Great guy, very friendly.  Forty years later, he was just as lively and witty as ever during the station's brief renascence broadcasting oldies.

Requiescat at pacem, Boomer.  We'll miss ya.

-Doug