Jacky Ankeles starts today weekdays at WNBP

Paul B. Walker, Jr. walkerbroadcasting@gmail.com
Tue Oct 19 16:17:38 EDT 2010

I work for a 5000 Watt Standalone AM that is literally owned by a mom and
pop.. we're in a market somewhere around the 170s with a population of about
175K people and almost 12 other stations.

We struggle some months, but we get by.. we do sell time in the mid days
weekdays, all morning Saturday and all day Sunday.

One thing that helps us and that we are finally getting noticed for is that
we are EXTREMELY EXTREMELY LOCAL.. yeah our 5KW signal hits parts of 5
states, but our immediate focus is on OUR town and OUR county.

Just an example as to how local we are some times...

We were doing the music for a car show last summer on the town square and
while there we were handed a flyer about a pasta fundraiser going on at the
Knights of Columbus hall for a local cancer patient.. we were asked to
announce it over the PA system, which we did. About half an hour after we
started, it started to rain so we packed up..... on the way back, we wanted
something else to do.. so we grabbed the Marti, 2 microphones and our whip
antenna.. and did a live remote from the serving table at the pasta
fundraiser.. (and we did all without a board op.... marti pot turned up with
a distinctive 60 second jingle bed for breaks and a very very obvious
5second time to wrap it up cue).

THAT is how standalone AM's make it these days.. LOCAL LOCAL LOCAL.

I worked for a standalone 1KW AM in a small North Dakota town of 2500 people
and it suffered..ran all sports.. and they didnt care about the local
audience.. just the regional audience and the regional dollars. People IN
town HATE the station

Paul