Up with Fessenden & Armstrong, along with Marconi

Donna Halper dlh@donnahalper.com
Wed Oct 6 19:47:15 EDT 2010

At 07:41 PM 10/6/2010, Scott Fybush wrote:

>As we will learn next month when KDKA celebrates the "90th
>anniversary of American broadcasting," and even more so come November 2020.
>
>(But then, without the promotional muscle of Westinghouse, would
>radio have so quickly evolved from the very important pioneering
>efforts of San Jose Calling and 9XM and 1XE into a dominant mass medium?)

So much of broadcasting history is actually the history of whose
publicity department was the best... I've always been mystified that
8MK (today WWJ) in Detroit, failed to see the potential of promoting
their very real first-- they were on the air in late August 1920,
several months before KDKA; yet for some reason, the owners (a
newspaper!) never promoted this fact beyond Michigan.