WEIM call letter change

A Joseph Ross joe@attorneyross.com
Wed Nov 3 00:15:49 EDT 2010

On 11/2/2010 6:10 PM, Scott Fybush wrote:

> My sense is that to go that route is to put one at the mercy of the
> marketers who are often more interested in short-term station
> promotion than in any sort of history. My own station, WXXI 1370 in
> Rochester, invariably portrays itself as having signed on "July 2,
> 1984." Indeed it did, under those calls and this ownership, but it's
> very hard to argue that the WXXI that signed on in July 1984 doesn't
> share license continuity (not to mention transmitter and studio
> location) with the station known as WSAY and then WRTK, which operated
> from 1936 until being sold in June 1984. It was in WXXI's interest to
> separate itself from some of the questionable history and business
> practices of its predecessors, but it's not necessarily in the
> interest of broadcast history to do so.

And sometimes they don't need a call letter change to say they signed on
later than they did.  WBCN for many years insisted that their station
started in 1969.  That was when the "progressive rock" format started,
but WBCN actually began,. with those calls, in 1958 with a classical
music format.

--
A. Joseph Ross, J.D.                     617.367.0468
92 State Street, Suite 700          Fax: 617.507.7856