Boston and ABC Radio

raccoonradio@mail.com raccoonradio@mail.com
Mon May 17 16:20:35 EDT 2010

 I saw an ad in an old North Shore newspaper from 1967 or so;a cartoon of a smiling bee above a flower with the legend--"Beautiful...The X/R all time hit parade. (WXHR) AM 740/FM 96.9"

-----Original Message-----
From: Peter Q. George <radiojunkie3@yahoo.com>
To: Boston Radio Interest <boston-radio-interest@rolinin.bostonradio.org>; Dan.Strassberg <dan.strassberg@att.net>
Sent: Mon, May 17, 2010 1:37 pm
Subject: Re: Boston and ABC Radio

Well in fact, it wasn't GE that installed the original beautiful music format on
the original WJIB (96.9).  It was Kaiser Broadcasting (with co-ownership with
The Boston Globe) who began 'JIB in May of 1967.  K-FOG/San Francisco was also
owned by Kaiser Broadcasting.  Both 'JIB and K-FOG used their call-letters to
denote an ocean setting with the beautiful muisic to match.  96.9 was originally
WXHR-FM, owned by Harvey Laboratories (along co-owned WXHR/740 and WTAO/WXHR-TV
Channel 56).  K-FOG was co-owned with KBHK-TV Channel 44, San Francisco.

Peter Q. George (K1XRB)
Whitman, Massachusetts
"Scanning the bands since 1967"

radiojunkie3@yahoo.com