Boston and ABC Radio

Dan.Strassberg dan.strassberg@att.net
Sun May 16 11:27:23 EDT 2010

I believe that is what happened but I have no proof. For sure, the
Yankee/Mutual affiliation stayed with WNAC when WNAC moved from 1260
to 680. WVDA was cobbled together from the old WNAC 1260 transmitter
in Milton and/or Quincy and the Boston studios of the old WLAW 680,
whose main studio was in Lawrence, the CoL. I believe that WLAW
originated more programming from Boston than it did from it's "main"
studio in Lawrence. The WVDA studios (which had been the WLAW Boston
studios) were in a well-known Boston hotel, whose name I keep
forgetting. That hotel had previously been the site of WBZ's studios
and also the studios of WBOS (not just the FM station but also WBOS
(AM) 1600, which became WUNR many decades ago).

It makes sense that when 680 became WNAC, the ABC affiliation would
have moved from 680 to 1260 (WVDA), because both WLAW and WCOP had
been ABC affiliates (something that was possible because WLAW was
officially not a Boston station despite having the market's second
best signal in Boston) and Plough Inc, WCOP's new owner, did not want
WCOP to continue its network affiliation. Despite a 5-kW signal that
was inferior downtown and elsewhere to 680's 50-kW, WCOP had been the
"real" Boston ABC affiliate for several years before Plough bought it.

I think it was established many years ago on this list that, even
though three or four stations had maintained studios in the same
Boston hotel at various times, they did not all occupy the same space
at different times. Indeed, there was probably a time when that hotel
was home to at least two unrelated radio stations at the same time.
Somebody, please supply the hotel name so I can say, "Oh, yeah."
(Wasn't it on Stuart St? It was neither the Parker House nor the
Touraine, IIRC.) Thanks.

-----
Dan Strassberg (dan.strassberg@att.net)
eFax 1-707-215-6367