Boston and ABC Radio

A. Joseph Ross joe@attorneyross.com
Sat May 15 13:54:02 EDT 2010

On 14 May 2010 at 13:38, Dan.Strassberg wrote:

> I didn't arrive in Boston until 1956, so I have no first-hand
> knowledge of what happened to the network affiliations in 1953. WVDA
> may still have been an ABC affiliate in 1956; not sure. I don't think
> WCOP was. Plough Broadcasting from Atlanta, which had bought WCOP, was
> heavily into Top-40 and Top-40 was not thought to be compatible with
> network affiliations. Shortly after I arrived in Boston, Diehm sold
> WVDA to Air Trails of Dayton OH, which renamed the station WEZE. The
> station kept the WEZE calls though several owners and when Salem
> bought 590 and moved its Christian preaching/teaching format there,
> the WEZE calls moved with the format.

My family moved back to the Boston area from Albany in May 1957.  At
that time WCOP was doing Top 40, without a network affiliation, and
WVDA was the ABC affiliate.  At some point after the call-letters
change to WEZE, it became an NBC affiliate.  ABC moved to WTAO for
awhile, into the early 1960s.  Since WTAO was a daytimer, some ABC
programs in the evening occasionally were carried on co-owned WXHR.
Very occasionally.