Car antennas

A. Joseph Ross joe@attorneyross.com
Mon May 10 00:04:24 EDT 2010

Having recently been car shopping, I've noticed that radio antennas
have changed again.   My old car had a retractible whip antenna that
went up when the radio was turned on and down when it was turned off.
 I had to replace that once in the life of the car, and it was
already not going down all the way again.

I notice that a lot of newer cars have a small antenna, about six to
twelve inches, above the rear window.  I wondered whether that would
be sufficient for decent reception of AM and FM stations, but when I
tested this on cars that I test-drove, it seemed to work.  Why is
this antenna adequate?  Will it also work for satellite radio?

Other cars have an antenna embedded in the rear window.  I had a 1977
Oldsmobile that had the antenna embedded in the front windshield.  I
suppose embedding it in the rear window is about the same thing.  The
antenna looks like a typical FM dipole.  Why does this work for AM as
well, as it does seem to?