Camden Maine station off the air due to storm damage

Garrett Wollman wollman@bimajority.org
Mon Mar 1 21:28:59 EST 2010

<<On Mon, 01 Mar 2010 11:43:10 -0500, Aaron Read <friedbagels@gmail.com> said:

> I would also opine that you'd have to build either one huge
> facility...or more likely, several quite-large facilities...to
> adequately cover NW ME thanks to the terrain issues and extremely
> low population density.

Most of the population of northwestern Maine probably receives an
adequate signal from WMEA (90.1C Portland).  There are
sparsely-populated parts in the far northwest that are terrain-blocked
from WMEA; if you wanted to serve them, you'd probably have to build
another class-C on Sugarloaf -- but note that WTOS-FM is operated as
an Augusta station!

(Incidentally, I'd be willing to bet that before the 107.9C2 came on
in Skowhegan, the Rangeley Lake area got usable NPR service from WVPS.
Look at a topo map and note how the valleys in northern New Hampshire
line up almost perfectly to bring the Mansfield FMs into that part of
Maine.)

-GAWollman