With 940 now officially vacant

scott@fybush.com scott@fybush.com
Tue Jun 22 07:25:53 EDT 2010

>>> Not so much has changed in twenty-five years, when they last redid
>>> it.

I'd disagree somewhat. I think something very big has changed - and that's
Canada's attitude toward AM radio. 25 years ago, Canada's policy was to
protect AM stations from FM competition (through interventions like the
"no-hits" policy for FM stations)...but things changed pretty quickly and
pretty dramatically starting around 1990, when AM stations began to
migrate en masse to FM.

Canada's AM dial is now vastly underutilized, and Mexico is heading in the
same direction. Whether either nation has any interest in renegotiating
the treaties that now protect those emptying AM channels is, of course, a
matter more of politics than anything else, and I have no clue as to the
politics of the issue.