WBZ & WRKO signal in Springfield

Dan.Strassberg dan.strassberg@att.net
Wed Jan 27 08:19:23 EST 2010

No question that WRKO protects KNBR which, many decades ago, was a
de-facto Class IA, although it had been a Class IB for at least 40
years before all Class I AMs became Class As. I think, though, that if
you examine the history of the 680 frequency, you will find that WPTF
(a Class B, and before that, a Class II) was operating full time for
several years in the late '30s or early '40s while WLAW (the
predecessor of today's WRKO) was still a daytimer. Also, I believe
that WPTF increased power to 50 kW-U years before WLAW did. WRKO's
night pattern (once its DA-1 pattern) protects WPTF, and by pattern
summetry, also protects the first-adjacent Class A (ex-CBF) in
Montreal.

It has been claimed that WEEI (then WHDH) was the first Class II-D
(daytimer on a Class I channel) to be granted full-time authority on
what had been a de-facto Class IA channel. I'm pretty sure that WHDH
ran 5 kW-U DA-N on KOA's channel from what is now the WROL site in
Saugus before WLAW began operating full time (I think with 1
kW-D/500W-N DA-N) from Andover. I suspect, however (although I don't
know for sure), that WPTF went full-time on 680 before WHDH went
full-time on (I think) 830, which I believe was the pre-NARBA
equivalent of today's 850.

-----
Dan Strassberg (dan.strassberg@att.net)
eFax 1-707-215-6367