New Age Media To Run WZMY Boston

Paul Anderson paulranderson@charter.net
Tue Jan 12 20:43:16 EST 2010

On Jan 12, 2010, at 6:02 PM, Garrett Wollman wrote:

> The FCC used greatly over-optimistic assumptions in making its
> coverage predictions.  (Such as, for example, that OTA viewers all had
> roof-mounted outdoor antennas at least 30 feet above local terrain.)

I recently saw an old picture of my family visiting relatives in Bethlehem PA.  Every house in the picture has a huge roof-mounted antenna!  Their service was all UHF.  It was the first time I'd ever heard of channel numbers above 13.  I bet if anybody still has one of those antennas up and working, they'd get great digital TV reception!

WENH's coverage area seems similar, but they're running 30 kW on channel 11.  WZMY-TV is running 7.3 kW on channel 35.  There's no way their two coverage areas could be in any way similar.

In fact, WSBK-TV's coverage area seems similar, too, and they're running 135 kW on channel 39 from a greater HAAT.

So it seems there's more than the FCC's overly optimistic assumption here.

Paul