Stupid Question

Dave Tomm nostaticatall@charter.net
Mon Jan 11 13:47:31 EST 2010

I'm wondering if those ratings are broken down into percentage of
views that are live versus DVR'ed, and what demos time shift their
viewing.  I would think this data exists, since the networks seem to
know what percentage of DVR users fast forward through the
commercials.  If I was an advertiser, and a significant percentage of
the audience of a program I buy time on is watching it using a DVR,
I'd have to determine if I was getting the best bang for my buck.  If
my target demos are fast forwarding through my spots, why bother?  If
enough agencies think this way and find other advertising avenues (and
there are plenty of them out there) it could force some networks to
rethink if allowing their programs to be DVR'd is a good idea, ratings
or not.

-Dave Tomm