WJIB

markwa1ion@aol.com markwa1ion@aol.com
Fri Jan 8 10:59:37 EST 2010

Right you are.  Unfortunately by sunset, even as close to the city as
128 in the Burlington-Woburn stretch, the Toronto ON and Long Island NY
stations are starting to muck with the signal and by dark, with the 5
watt reduced power, usable WJIB pretty much ends on Route 2 west at the
Arlington-Lexington line and 93 north somewhere around Stoneham.  And
at this time of year it's dark a lot more of the day than it's light.

WJIB's day signal, however, is indeed commendable for only 250 watts
and I heard it (as WCAS in the Donna-as-DJ days) from the southwestern
end of Nova Scotia around Clarke's Harbour and Tusket.  Too bad it
can't go to 750, a channel with far less co-channel interference since
Portsmouth, NH vacated it ages ago.  I guess Leicester on 760 kills
that idea.

Yes, Bob Bittner is to be commended for what he does on WJIB and on
Maine's WJTO (an actually-better signal in some Mass. coastal areas).
I think there should be a little more 'ancient' country / folk / blues
/ bluegrass, more hot '50s jazz a la Monk-Mingus-Coltrane-Parker-Davis,
and more '50s rock / R&B in the line-up but that's just my opinion and
I don't see him taking out some of the Mantovani and Melachrino Strings
for "Sixty Minute Man" and "Work With Me Annie" anytime soon.

I guess WATD-95.9 should get a mention too.

Mark Connelly

<<
Please don't leave out Bob's WJIB 740!  I can hear that little
transmitter of his
almost 20 miles out in my car.

-Bob