Old South Church Meeting

Bob DeMattia bob.bosra@demattia.net
Wed Jan 6 13:26:57 EST 2010

Mentioning WMEX brings to mind a question I've had for a while.  I grew up in
East Milton in the shadow of then-WEZE.  I remember their audio getting
rectified on to our phone line, as well as into any cheaply built
piece of electronics
equipment, and remember joking, after the late 70's format switch, about how
the "voice of God" was everywhere.

WMEX was just down the road.  I recall the decrepit nature of the transmitter
building, wedged in between W. Squantum street and the Neponset river
salt marsh.  There were sumac trees and weeds growing all around the
building.

I know that they moved the 1510 transmitter to Waltham in 1981, but I wonder
when the old towers and transmitter building were finally torn down.

Does anyone remember?
Any photos of the old transmitter building and towers?

I believe you can still see the concrete tower bases in the marsh if you
look closely enough.

-Bob