WCRB dead air

Garrett Wollman wollman@bimajority.org
Wed Jan 6 01:15:55 EST 2010

<<On Wed, 06 Jan 2010 00:52:39 -0500, Richard Chonak <rac@gabrielmass.com> said:

> In a performance available on YouTube, you can actually get a look at
> the sheet music, and it's not blank.  It shows a single measure
> containing a rest, with the duration of 4'33" indicated.

And in fact, Cage's copyright extends only to that particular
composition of four minutes and thirty-three seconds of silence, not
to every silence of that length.

(Although for some reason I was under the impression that it was
originally presented as a sequence of rests of varying duration in
standard musical notation.  I'm not sure of the lost "original
Woodstock manuscript" described in Wikipedia is what I think I
remember.)

-GAWollman