Eddie Andleman calls it quits

Sean Smyth sean.smyth@yahoo.com
Sat Dec 18 12:24:37 EST 2010

On Sat, 12/18/10, Kevin Vahey <kvahey@gmail.com> wrote:
> Radio legend Eddie Andelman says his
> WTKK (96.9 FM) Sunday night show Dec.
> 26 will be the last one of his career. By his count,
> Andelman has done more
> than 13,000 shows.
>
> I don't think he was forced out as he was buying the time
> from 96.9 and he
> has his loyal friends.
>
> While The Sports Huddle was not the first sports talk show
> in Boston it
> certainly became the leader especially on Wyoming, Blasting
> and Zoning. It
> sputtered for a few years on WEEI and can roaring back in
> the 80's on WHDH.
> Eddie certainly helped WEEI when it became all sports but
> he could not stand
> to be in the same room with Ordway.
>
> Eddie lost his fastball years ago but his place in a Boston
> Radio hall of
> Fame is secure.
>
> It all started when the owner of WUNR heard Eddie and 2
> friends arguing
> sports at a Boston bar and he put them on the air.
>
> http://www.969bostontalks.com/on-air/sportshuddle2.aspx

There goes the voice of my childhood. My parents, not big sports fans themselves, nonetheless kept the radio on 850 each afternoon when Eddie's show came on. He's definitely one reason why I became a big sports fan and had the dream of going in to broadcasting.

And the untold good he's done for people in this city.

There was a great Boston Globe Magazine article on Eddie sometime in the early 1990s -- I think he had just jumped back to WEEI at that point.