Globe editorial calls FM radio "outdated technology"

Bill Smith brscomm@yahoo.com
Tue Aug 24 16:03:38 EDT 2010

I understand a few TV stations are running multiple digital transmitters to fill
holes, could this be a first step to broadcasters moving to a cellular model?
get rid of those million+ dollar towers and go on existing low altitude sites?

________________________________
From: Dave Doherty <dave@skywaves.net>
To: Dave Tomm <nostaticatall@charter.net>; Bill Smith <brscomm@yahoo.com>
Cc: boston-radio-interest@bostonradio.org
Sent: Tue, August 24, 2010 8:18:48 AM
Subject: Re: Globe editorial calls FM radio "outdated technology"

It's easier for me as a broadcaster to maintain a couple of centralized sites.
The cellular carriers are used to maintaining thousands of distributed sites. I
think the point is not that one service is intrinsically better than the other,
but that we need layers of capabilities of all sorts. Then almost no matter what
the insult, some communications can get through.

-d