Globe editorial calls FM radio "outdated technology"

Dave Doherty dave@skywaves.net
Mon Aug 23 19:31:25 EDT 2010

> It is really , really nice to have one device that replaces many devices.

Agreed.

Most of the world-model cell phones and advanced devices, as pointed out
elsewhere in this thread, include FM tuners that are disabled by the
carriers in the US.  So it's not a big technical stretch to turn them on.

The wireless carriers have resisted carrying the radio stations in part, I
think, because the stations don't pay performance royalties. The carriers
feared - correctly - that the record companies would come after them.

The broadcasters are looking for a compromise here, I think. The stations
will pay performance royalties in exchange for carriage on the portable
devices. But before they agree to pay the performance royalties, they need
to be assured that the portable devices will, in fact, carry them.

So this doesn't seem to me to be as heinous an injection of the government
into the market as some others around here have portrayed it.

-d