W242AA

Eli Polonsky elipolo@earthlink.net
Mon Apr 26 12:45:29 EDT 2010

-----Original Message-----

That's not what's happening. The Insignia portable
is not sensitive enough to get any sign of the HD
icon on WSRS anywhere in the metro-Boston area. I
have been in places away from W242AA, with higher
ground and better reception, where I can hear the
analog WSRS on the Insignia, but it won't get any
HD icon at all from WSRS until I'm well to the
west of Route 128. WEII is even less likely. The
area in Kendall Square is low-lying and somewhat
surrounded by concrete and metal buildings, plus
the intermod and desensitization caused by the
Pru directly across the Charles. Not a favorable
place for out-of-town reception.

I can (barely) get my Sangean HD home tuner to go
into HD on WSRS from the west facing hill that I
live on in Somerville, but even in that location
the Insignia portable will barely get WSRS at all
in analog. It's certainly not getting HD from WSRS
in low-lying, building-surrounded Kendall Square.

There was no aural evidence of blending at all
when I heard W242AA in Kendall Square with the
HD light blinking. It was still receiving analog,
a clean but weak signal from W242AA, no blending
with anything else.

The Insignia does not activate HD from adjacent
channel bleed-over no matter how strong the audio
of the bleed appears. The light only activates
when it senses HD on the frequency it's tuned to.
Bleed-over from an adjacent strong station will
turn off the HD even if that station broadcasts
in HD regardless of the bleed-over strength.

When it locks into HD, it can not receive any
blending with anything else. If other stations
blend with the HD station being listened to,
first it will go out of HD into analog, and the
indicator will turn off. Then, you'll hear the
blending in analog, but not before the unit has
lost and deactivated the HD. The light does not
seem to come on at all when it's receiving a
blending situation. It seems to need a clean
singular HD signal to activate the HD light

>Or maybe WGBH really did drop a dime on a new
>HD Exporter for W242AA. But if they did, they
>never notified the FCC about it and, AFAIK, FM
>translators still require digital notification.

Perhaps that may be why it was no longer in HD
when I checked back a few weeks ago. Maybe they
were using it during the winter without proper
notification.

EP